Re: To Ray Hume: Part 3 of 3

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Daystar Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ray Hume (24.86.12.198) on April 17, 2004 at 14:19:20:

In Reply to: To Ray Hume: Part 3 of 3 posted by AAA on April 16, 2004 at 21:20:08:

AAA,

I see that you have addressed my post to you point for point and that you have done a good job of making your position clear. I also think that I had made my position clear as well.

This time I am not going to go into details because continuing the present discussion would soon lead to repeating and recycling the same set of arguments, without any hope of eventual agreement. Your ongoing battle with Pangea over Evolution versus Creation comes to mind as a good example.

I am wondering if there will eventually come a time when these kinds of arguments will be settled once and for all. Short of the Second Coming of Jesus or an Alien representative addressing the UN general assembly, I doubt it will happen in foreseeable future.

We can probably agree that our worldviews are, for the most part, incompatible. Maybe, if I had been born where you were born, and if I had had the experiences that you had, I would have believed as you believe. The statistics certainly suggests that this would have been the most probable outcome.

However, I like to think that I would have been an exception. See, I have devised my own little method of testing my views on the matters of politics and religion. It relies on asking one simple question: “Would I have been able to have the opinion that I have, if I had been born as xyz?” Now substitute xyz with: a Christian, a Muslim, an American, a Tibetan, an Israeli, a Palestinian, etc., and see if the view still holds. If not then cast it off and look for one that does.

Regards,

Ray Hume

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: Re: To Ray Hume: Part 3 of 3

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Daystar Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]