To Pangea on fulfillment part 2

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Daystar Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Christian Scholar (65.100.63.81) on April 17, 2004 at 21:16:49:

Before I give you some info on the original word used for fulfill (pronounced pleroo-oh) let me say that utilizing every definition in a sense will not cause a problem. Let me show you what I mean:
Jesus came and performed the law without error, to bring it into consummation, finishing its effects upon mankind (condemnation) by satisfying it with His death on the cross. You see, you can utilize every definition of it without difficulty. But, for sake of your question about the word, I want to deal for a short time with the Greek word that is in the New Testament.
Pleroo ( again, pronounce Play-roo-oh) basically has the fulfillment meaning as in accomplishment. It’s root comes from pleres which means “to fill,” like a cup being filled to the top. In Matthew 13:48 it states “When the net was full (pleroo), the fishermen pulled it up on the shore.” In John 12:3 the “house was filled (pleroo) with the fragrance of the perfume.”
It can also mean to fulfill a command, or satisfying a demand, as in Romans 8:4 where Paul writes that “the righteous demands of the law might be fully met (pleroo) in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit.”
It has been translated as “complete” in certain passages. For example, in Luke 7:1 it states, “When Jesus had completed (pleroo) saying all this in the hearing of the people, He entered into Capernaum.” Colossians 4:17 it states “See to it that you complete (pleroo) the work you have received in the Lord.”
In this sense, when Jesus came to “fulfill” the law (every jot and tittle) it basically is stating to bring it to its full accomplishment, not just in doing it, but in “being” the law. Why do you think John used logos (word) in referring to Christ? Yes, you can say it was a platonic word, but it’s meaning with John is He was God’s word “made flesh” and dwelling among us. He was the fulfillment of every ounce of God’s righteous law. He filled up God’s cup, so to speak. Gave the la

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject: Re: To Pangea on fulfillment part 2

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Daystar Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]